Monday, October 6, 2008

A Sad Moment

When I was a young girl, at this time of the year, when the last of the tomatoes were being picked, my Mom would make what she called "open face tomato sandwiches". Yesterday, a neighbor of mine brought me the last of his tomatoes. Big, red, juicy, vine ripened tomatoes. I just had this incredible urge to have an "open face tomato sandwich". Big problem here. I don't know how to make them. I thought to myself, sure wish I could call Mom and ask her. Well, I can't and it is so very sad. So, I tried and they did not come out like hers at all. I know she put them under the broiler. A piece of bread, a slice of cheese and a thick slice of a tomato. Now, I don't know if she buttered the bread, I can't even remember if the cheese was on top or the tomato. I vaguely remember seeing the cheese that turned brown on the edges from being under the broiler. I put the tomato on top, but now I think maybe the cheese should go on top. I guess I will have to try it again sometime. Just wish I could talk to my Mom.

6 comments:

Sassytimes said...

I'm sorry! Did anyone else have the sandwich that could help you remember?

Jessica said...

Google it and then tweak it til you get it to taste just like Nana's. It might not turn out just like it (just like her cookies), but it will be close. Love you!

Robin Walton said...

Thanks, I will try to Google it. See what comes up. Sure would be better if I could ask her. Went to the window today and asked the swan. No response...go figure!

Jessica said...

You need to speak Swanish and then you'll understand! ;o)

Robin Walton said...

Oh, I wonder if there is an internet class on that. Great idea!!!

Sassytimes said...

I just laughed out loud at "swanish"